12th GATE Training Course - June 2019 Participants' Wiki
Here you will find detailed current information about the training course, including the hands-on material you will need for each module. This page will be updated regularly.
Course materials and supporting information for the talks
Presentations and related materials will be posted here when available. Please download the relevant material for the modules you're taking, in advance of the session.
We will be using GATE 8.6 for the course this year, which is now available from the download page. You will also need Java 8 as a minimum, but it should work with Java 9 or 10.
For those following the Programming Track on Friday (Module 5), you will also need
- Monday 17 June, Module 1: Information Extraction
- Tuesday 18 June, Module 2: Social Media hands-on materials
- Wednesday 19 June, Module 3: Crowdsourcing, Cloud/MIMIR and ML
- Session 1: Crowdsourcing Annotations: slides, hands-on materials
- Session 2: GATE Cloud and MIMIR: slides, hands-on materials (24MB)
- Session 3: Machine Learning in GATE: intro slides, classification exercise slides, hands-on materials for classification
- Session 4: Machine Learning in GATE: chunking exercise slides, hands-on materials for chunking
- Thursday 29 June, Module 4: Advanced IE
- Friday 30 June
- Track 2, Module 6: Applications
Venue: The course will be held in the John Carr Design Centre at the University of Sheffield: Room C29, first floor, Portobello Centre, Pitt Street (opposite the Royal Institute for the Blind). This is a 30 minute walk or a simple bus ride from the University accommodation.
- General information about Sheffield, how to get to it by air and train, places to eat, where to visit, etc can be found in our Sheffield visitor's guide.
- Some more maps and travel advice are available here as well.
Accommodation: There may be some accommodation available at the university's Halifax Hall Hotel in Endcliffe (approx 30 mins walk or a 10 minute bus ride from the venue). This costs from £65 per night. Booking details available on their website. There are also a variety of other options in the city centre (10-15 minutes walk from the venue) or around the university.
- Chairs: Diana Maynard and Kalina Bontcheva
- Local organisation: Alice Tucker
- Contact: Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any enquiries relating to the training course.