11th GATE Training Course - June 2018 Participants' Wiki
Here you will find detailed current information about the training course, including the hands-on material you will need for each module. This page will be updated regularly.
Course materials and supporting information for the talks
Presentations and related materials will be posted here when available. Please download the relevant material for the modules you're taking, in advance of the session.
Please also make sure you have GATE 8.5.1 downloaded and installed on your laptop. You will also need Java 8 as a minimum, but it should work with Java 9 or 10.
For those following the Programming Track on Friday (Module 5), you will also need
- Monday 11 June, Module 1: Information Extraction
- Tuesday 12 June, Module 2: Social Media
- Wednesday 13 June, Module 3: Crowdsourcing, Cloud/MIMIR and ML
- Session 1: Crowdsourcing Annotations: crowdsourcing slides, hands-on materials
- Session 2: GATE Cloud and MIMIR: slides, hands-on materials (24MB)
- Session 3: Machine Learning in GATE: intro slides, classification exercise slides, hands-on materials for classification
- Session 4: Machine Learning in GATE: chunking exercise slides, hands-on materials for chunking DNN outlook slides
- Thursday 14 June, Module 4: Advanced Information Extraction
- Friday 15 June
- Track 1, Module 5: Programming
- Track 2, Module 6: Applications
Venue: The course will be held in the Design Studio on D floor (rooms D06, D07 snd D08) in the Pam Liversidge Building at the University of Sheffield. This is a 30 minute walk or a simple bus ride from the University accommodation.
- General information about Sheffield, how to get to it by air and train, places to eat, where to visit, etc can be found in our Sheffield visitor's guide.
- Some more maps and travel advice are available here as well.
Accommodation: There may be some accommodation available at the university's Halifax Hall Hotel in Endcliffe (approx 30 mins walk or a 10 minute bus ride from the venue). This costs from £65 per night. Booking details available on their website. There are also a variety of other options in the city centre (10-15 minutes walk from the venue) or around the university.
- Chairs: Diana Maynard and Kalina Bontcheva
- Local organisation: Ellie Hills
- Contact: Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any enquiries relating to the training course.