KNOWMAK: Knowledge in the Making
Developing a European map of knowledge production
The KNOWMAK project aims at developing a web-based tool, which provides interactive visualisations and state-of-the-art indicators on knowledge co-creation in the European Research Area (ERA). It is structured around three integrative elements:
- Research topics, by developing ontologies around Societal Grand Challenges and Key Enabling Technologies.
- Actors, with a focus on the quadruple helix and the involvement of societal actors in knowledge co-creation.
- Geographical spaces, with a focus on multiple level metropolitan, regional, national and European spaces and their interconnectedness.
The tool combines traditional research output data (projects, publications, patent applications) with information on social innovation projects and user attention to knowledge production.
Sheffield is responsible for the development of the ontologies, which underpin the topics, and which link user queries, data sources, and indicators. They are also involved in the development of tools for social media analysis.
Sheffield Contact: Diana Maynard
Main KNOWMAK website: http://www.knowmak.eu
- Current version of the KNOWMAK ontology (note: does not contain the keywords)
- Filtered Search: simple demo of a filtered search to show the relations between keywords and ontology classes (in development)
- Faceted Search: simple demo of a faceted search to show the relations between keywords and ontology classes (in development)
- Ontology visualisation demo showing the relationship between topics by means of keywords
- Embeddings trained on the KNOWMAK corpus (1426262 terms, 300 dimensions):
- Université Paris‐Est Marne‐la‐Vallée (Coordinator)
- Austrian Institute of Technology
- Politecnico di Milano
- Universiteit Leiden
- University of Manchester - Manchester Institute of Innovation Research
- University of Sheffield
Project publications from the Sheffield team
- Z. Zhang, J. Petrak, D. Maynard. Adapted TextRank for Term Extraction: A Generic Method of Improving Automatic Term Extraction Algorithms. Semantics 2018, Vienna, Austria, 10-13 September, 2018.
- D. Maynard and B. Lepori. Ontologies as bridges between data sources and user queries: the KNOWMAK project experience. Proceedings of STI 2017, Paris, France, September 2017 PDF
- Diana Maynard, Adam Funk and Benedetto Lepori. Towards an Infrastructure for Understanding and Interlinking Knowledge Co-Creation in European research. Proc. of ESWC 2017 Workshop on Scientometrics, Portoroz, Slovenia, May 2017. PDF
- Diana Maynard, Philippe Lepori, Benedetto Lepor. KNOWMAK: Knowledge in the Making in the European Society. Presented in ESWC 2017 EU Project Networking Session. Poster
Talks about KNOWMAK by the Sheffield team
- "Semantic technologies for mapping European research: bridging the gap between policy and research", Diana Maynard, invited talk at the Centre for Communication and Computing (CCC), University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 28 Sept 2018. slides
- "Semantic technologies and ontologies in the KNOWMAK project", Diana Maynard, EuroScience Open Forum, Toulouse, July 2018. slides
- "Creating a large topic ontology for policymakers", Diana Maynard, Ontotext meetup London, Sept 2017. slides
- "Ontologies as bridges between data sources and user queries: the KNOWMAK project experience", Diana Maynard, STI 2017, Paris, France, Sept 2017. slides
Project funded by the European Commission within the H2020 Framework under Grant No. 726992.
Follow us on Twitter: @knowmakeu