GATE Training Course May 2011 Participants' Wiki
This is an archive page - the wiki for the current course is here
Here you will find detailed current information about the training course, and a place to post comments etc. This will be updated regularly.
- Schedule for the training course
- Invited Talks:
- Monday: GATE Cloud Overview (GATE Team)
- Tuesday: GATE for LifeSciences (Matthew Broadbent, South London and Maudsley Hospital)
- Wednesday: GATE for news analysis (Dhaval Thakker and Jarred McGinnis, Press Association)
- Thursday: GATE demos and future developments preview (GATE Team)
- Introductory talk: The infernal beauty of text
- Certification Exam
- Information about certification can be found here.
- You can still register for certification during the training week, please speak to one of the team if you wish to take up this offer.
- Lecturer Profiles
- List of participants
Course materials and supporting information for the talks
Presentations and related materials will be posted here when available. Please download the relevant material for the modules you're taking, in advance of the session.
- Track 1:
- Monday: Module 1 slides and hands-on materials (zip file)
- Tuesday: Module 2 slides (pdf) and hands-on materials (zip file)
- Wednesday: Module 3 slides (pdf) and hands-on materials (zip file)
- Thursday: Teamware Module 4 slides (pdf) and hands-on materials (zip file), Teamware server accounts, qa-summariser-corpus.zip
- Track 2:
- Monday: Module 5 slides (pdf) and hands-on material (zip)
- Tuesday: Module 6 slides and hands-on materials (zip file) and slides with solutions
- Wednesday: Module 7 slides and hands-on materials (zip file), slides with solutions, DocStats example code and CreoleRegister example code.
- Thursday: Module 8 slides and hands-on materials (zip file, ~6.8MB) and slides with solutions
- Track 3:
- Monday: Module 9 slides and hands-on materials (zip file)
- Tuesday: Module 10 slides (pdf) and hands-on materials (zip file)
- Wednesday: Module 11 slides (pdf), hands-on exercise sheet (pdf), and hands-on materials (zip file); extra slides on relations (pdf) and extra hands-on materials on relations (zip file).
- Thursday: Module 12 slides (pdf) and hands-on materials (zip file)
- Additional Track - Linked Data and Advanced Semantic Annotation:
Certification Exam Materials
- Exams will be carried out on-line on our server on Friday
- You can try the mock exam in advance by logging in with userid fig4guest and password FIG4guest
Venue: The course will take place in Halifax Hall, Endcliffe Vale Road, Sheffield. The venue is close to Sheffield Botanical Gardens and Broomhill and not far from Encliffe Park and the shops and restaurants on Ecclesall Road.
General information about Sheffield, how to get to it by air and train, places to eat, where to visit, etc can be found in our Sheffield visitor's guide. Some more maps and travel advice is available here as well.
Getting there by car Arriving by car at Halifax Hall, take Red Lane (off Oakholme Road). An attendant will direct you to a parking space. Parking permits are available at the registration desk.
Public Transport: To walk to Halifax Hall from the city centre/station will take around 40 minutes. From the railway station, you have a choice of 2 buses - the 40 departs from the bus station just across the road but runs to Fulwood Road (7-10 minutes walk from Halifax), or the 44 departs from Commercial Street (7-10 minutes walk from the station) but runs to Endcliffe Vale Road (adjacent to Halifax). See this map for details.
Accommodation: You will have to book your own accommodation. For some information on different hotels in Sheffield see some hotels in Sheffield. The nearest hotel is the Rutland (details from the travel page), where early booking is strongly recommended. You will probably get the best hotel rates via sites like Expedia and Lastminute.com, but it is always worth trying the discount codes mentioned on the travel page (note, some rates may have increased this year).
What you need to bring: You will need to bring your own laptop with the latest GATE version (GATE 6.1) and Java 6.0 installed. If you are unable to bring your own laptop, please let us know as soon as possible, as we may be able to lend a limited number.
Social: There will be a social event (barbeque) on Tuesday evening, at no extra charge. More information nearer the time.
- Chair: Diana Maynard, University of Sheffield
- Deputy: Kalina Bontcheva, University of Sheffield
- Local organisation: Lucy Moffatt, University of Sheffield
- Contact: Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any enquiries relating to the training course.