6th GATE Training Course - June 2013 Participants' Wiki
Here you will find detailed current information about the training course, including the hands-on material you will need for each module. This page will be updated regularly.
- Certification Exam
- Information about certification can be found here.
- You can still register for certification during the training week, please speak to one of the team if you wish to take up this offer.
Course materials and supporting information for the talks
Presentations and related materials will be posted here when available. Please download the relevant material for the modules you're taking, in advance of the session.
- Track 1:
- Monday: GATE GUI Module 1 handout and hands-on materials (zip)
- Tuesday: Introduction to IE and ANNIE Slides, Hands-on material
- Wednesday: JAPE
- Thursday: Module 4 'Taking GATE to the Cloud'
- Track 2: also note the software requirements section below
- Track 3:
- Monday: Module 9 Semantic Annotation and Ontologies: Slides, Hands-on material
- Tuesday: Module 10 Advanced IE: Slides, Hands-on material
- Wednesday: Module 11 Machine Learning slides, exercise sheet, hands-on materials, supplementary slides, supplementary hands-on materials
- Thursday: Module 12 Opinion Mining slides, hands-on materials
- Additional Track - Linked Data and Advanced Semantic Annotation:
- Additional Track - Social Media Mining: These slides and hand out materials will be distributed during the add-on course only
Certification Exam Materials
Venue: The course will be held on Monday-Thursday at The Ridge. On Friday only, the course will be held in the Sir Henry Stephenson Building, which is a 30 minute walk or a simple bus ride from The Ridge and from the University accommodation. See the maps below for information and directions.
General information about Sheffield, how to get to it by air and train, places to eat, where to visit, etc can be found in our Sheffield visitor's guide. Some more maps and travel advice are available here as well.
Public Transport: To walk to the Ridge from the city centre/station will take around an hour. The easiest way from the railway station is by bus: cross the road to the bus station ("Transport Interchange") and catch a 120 bus from stop FS5 on Pond Street. See this Google map for details, or download a timetable and map (PDF).
What you need to bring: You will need to bring your own laptop with the latest GATE Developer version (7.1) and Java 6 or 7 installed. Track 2 participants will also need Apache Ant (1.8 or later), and a Java IDE such as Eclipse is strongly recommended (get the "IDE for Java Developers" option). If you are unable to bring your own laptop, please let us know as soon as possible, as we may be able to lend a limited number.
Social: There will be a social event on Tuesday evening, at no extra charge. This will consist of a barbeque held in the bar area/patio at the Ridge. More information nearer the time.
- Chairs: Diana Maynard and Kalina Bontcheva
- Local organisation: Joanne Suter
- Contact: Please contact us at email@example.com for any enquiries relating to the training course.