9th GATE Training Course - June 2016 Participants' Wiki
Here you will find detailed current information about the training course, including the hands-on material you will need for each module. This page will be updated regularly.
Course materials and supporting information for the talks
Presentations and related materials will be posted here when available. Please download the relevant material for the modules you're taking, in advance of the session.
- Monday 6 June
- Tuesday 7 June
- Wednesday 8 June
- Thursday 9 June
- Friday 10 June
- Applications Track
- GATE for programmers track (held in the Computer Science dept, see below)
Venue: The course will be held in the John Carr Design Centre at the University of Sheffield. Room C29, first floor, Portobello Centre, Pitt Street (opposite the Royal Institute for the Blind). This is a 30 minute walk or a simple bus ride from the University accommodation.
Note that the Programming track on Friday will be held in the Ada Lovelace Room (1st Floor), Department of Computer Science, 211 Portobello, S1 4DP, just across the road from the John Carr Design Centre.
- Maps and directions. The entrance is from the big iron doors on the pedestrian street, next to St George's church and opposite St George's library and Blackwells bookshop.
- General information about Sheffield, how to get to it by air and train, places to eat, where to visit, etc can be found in our Sheffield visitor's guide.
- Some more maps and travel advice are available here as well.
Accommodation: There may be some accommodation available at the university's Halifax Hall Hotel in Endcliffe (approx 30 mins walk or a 10 minute bus ride from the venue). This costs from £65 per night. Booking details available on their website. There are also a variety of other options in the city centre (10-15 minutes walk from the venue) or around the university.
Social Event: On Tuesday 7th June there will be a barbeque at the Leopold Hotel from 6.30pm. Food and a welcome drink included; further drinks can be bought from the bar. The barbeque will take place on the terrace in Leopold Square.
- Chairs: Diana Maynard and Kalina Bontcheva
- Local organisation: Joanne Suter
- Contact: Please contact us at email@example.com for any enquiries relating to the training course.