6th GATE Training Course: Text Mining with GATE
The 6th GATE training course will be held on 3rd to 7th of June 2013 at the University of Sheffield, UK. Early registration deadline is 19 April 2013.
This event will follow the format of earlier GATE courses, but with two parallel mini-tracks on the Friday, covering semantic web technologies, and GATE for social media mining. For more information about the schedule, course materials, travel, accommodation, local information etc. please see the FIG participants wiki.
There are three main tracks delivered by the GATE development team, running in parallel from Monday to Thursday:
On Friday, there are two optional add-on courses:
- Linked Data and advanced semantic annotation. Participants in this course would benefit from prior knowledge of RDF, OWL, and basic SPARQL. It is open to participants from any of the main GATE tracks.
- GATE for social media mining. This is open to participants from any of the main GATE tracks - no previous knowledge is necessary.
Please note that these two courses are run in parallel, so you can only attend one of them.
For more information about what is covered in each track and what the prerequisites are for taking them, see GATE training course modules.
Every afternoon, there will be a plenary talk open to all participants:
- "Semantic enrichment in the Envia information discovery system" by Stephen Andrews, British Library (Monday)
- "Text mining Electronic Health Records for Research - Common Issues and Strategies" (Tuesday) by Richard Jackson from the South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust/King's College Hospital
- "Text Mining - Commercial Application and Opportunities" by Steven Brewer from Text Mining Solutions Ltd (Wednesday)
- GATE demos and future developments preview (Thursday)
You can find more information about the talks here.
We now offer a certification programme. The event offers the opportunity to be examined in modules of your choice, at a discounted rate (see below). The examination is held at the end of the week and allows time for candidates to attempt four modules.
Please fill in this online registration form and email it back to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will then be sent details about payment.
The registration fee includes registration for your chosen Main Track 1, 2, or 3 (Mon-Thu), lunches, tea/coffee, materials and social dinner. 4 modules per track (1 each day).
Add-on fee applies only to participants who register for one of the additional courses on Semantic Technologies or Social Media Mining on Friday morning.
Certification fee is payable only by those registered to take the certification exam on Friday afternoon.
Venue and accommodation
The course will be held in the Ridge conference centre, Sheffield. University accommodation nearby can be booked at the special rate of £34 per night - details will be sent on registration.
Further information about the venue is available here.
On the Tuesday evening there will be a social event (barbeque) free for all participants. More details to follow.
Participants will be required to bring their own laptops with GATE installed. If this is a problem for you, please let us know well in advance.
Please contact us at email@example.com for any enquiries relating to the training course.
The 5th GATE course is supported by the following projects:
- Personalised Summarisation of Social media (EP/I004327/1)
We will welcome industrial or research sponsorship of the event - please email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Chairs: Diana Maynard, Kalina Bontcheva, University of Sheffield
- Local organisation: Joanne Suter, University of Sheffield