5th GATE Training Course - June 2012 Participants' Wiki
Here you will find detailed current information about the training course, and a place to post comments etc. This will be updated regularly.
- Schedule for the training course
- Invited Talks:
- Monday: GATE demos and future developments preview (GATE Team)
- Tuesday: 'It could be lupus': Identifying narrative event chains in clinical notes (Phil Gooch, City University London)
- Wednesday: Text Analytics at Elsevier (Antony Scerri, Elsevier)
- Thursday: Making the UK Government Web Archive More Usable (Tom Storrar, The National Archives)
- Certification Exam
- Information about certification can be found here.
- You can still register for certification during the training week, please speak to one of the team if you wish to take up this offer.
- Lecturer Profiles
Course materials and supporting information for the talks
Presentations and related materials will be posted here when available. Please download the relevant material for the modules you're taking, in advance of the session.
- Track 1:
- Monday: Module 1 slides and hands-on materials (zip)
- Tuesday: Introduction to IE and ANNIE (slides, resources)
- Wednesday: JAPE (slides, resources, shares solution)
- Thursday: Module 4 'Taking GATE to the Cloud'
- Track 2: also note the software requirements section below
- Monday: Module 5 handout and hands-on materials (zip), copy and paste friendly code snippets, slides including solutions
- Tuesday: Module 6 handout and hands-on materials (zip), copy and paste friendly code snippets, slides including solutions
- Wednesday: Module 7 handout and hands-on materials (zip), copy and paste friendly code snippets, slides including solutions
- Thursday: Module 8 handout and hands-on materials (zip — 6MB), slides including solutions
- Track 3:
- Monday: Module 9 slides, Module 9 hands-on materials
- Tuesday: Module 10 slides, Module 10 hands-on materials
- Wednesday: Module 11 slides, hands-on materials, hands-on exercise sheet, Module 11 supplementary slides, supplementary hands-on materials
- Thursday: Module 12 slides, Module 12 hands-on materials
Certification Exam Materials
Venue: The course will take place in Halifax Hall, Endcliffe Vale Road, Sheffield. The venue is close to Sheffield Botanical Gardens and Broomhill and not far from Endcliffe Park and the shops and restaurants on Ecclesall Road.
- Area map (note bus route numbers are out of date, see below)
- Area map on Google
- Floor plan for the venue
- Halifax location and parking map
General information about Sheffield, how to get to it by air and train, places to eat, where to visit, etc can be found in our Sheffield visitor's guide. Some more maps and travel advice is available here as well.
Getting there by car Arriving by car at Halifax Hall, take Red Lane (off Oakholme Road). An attendant will direct you to a parking space. Parking permits are available at the registration desk.
Public Transport: To walk to Halifax Hall from the city centre/station will take around 40 minutes. From the railway station, you have a choice of 2 buses - the 120 departs from just outside the bus station across the road but runs to Fulwood Road (7-10 minutes walk from Halifax), or the 123 departs from Commercial Street (7-10 minutes walk from the station) but runs to Endcliffe Vale Road (adjacent to Halifax). See this map for details.
Accommodation: You will have to book your own accommodation. For some information on different hotels in Sheffield see some hotels in Sheffield. The nearest hotel is the Rutland (details from the travel page), where early booking is strongly recommended. You will probably get the best hotel rates via sites like Expedia and Lastminute.com, but it is always worth trying the discount codes mentioned on the travel page (note, some rates may have increased this year).
What you need to bring: You will need to bring your own laptop with the latest GATE Developer version (7.0) and Java 6.0 installed. Track 2 participants will also need Apache Ant (1.8 or later), and a Java IDE such as Eclipse is strongly recommended (get the "IDE for Java Developers" option). If you are unable to bring your own laptop, please let us know as soon as possible, as we may be able to lend a limited number.
Social: There will be a social event (barbeque) on Tuesday evening, at no extra charge. More information nearer the time.
- Chair: Diana Maynard, University of Sheffield
- Deputy: Kalina Bontcheva, University of Sheffield
- Local organisation: Lucy Moffatt, University of Sheffield
- Contact: Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for any enquiries relating to the training course.